Directed by Elisa Citterio
Mozart’s evocative 40th Symphony opens Tafelmusik’s 40th season.
You’re invited to the opening of our 40th season! Mozart’s arresting 40th Symphony is the centrepiece of the program, taking you on a journey of great beauty, urgency, and passion. This music pushed the boundaries of the classical style and still feels as bold and extraordinary today.
Music Director Elisa Citterio takes centre stage as soloist in Tafelmusik’s first-ever performance of Mozart’s vivacious Violin Concerto in D Major, the launch of a new cycle of Mozart concertos. Join us for a celebration of milestones and Mozart.
What’s interesting about this concert?
- This was one of Mozart’s final symphonies, and one of only two written in a minor key (minor is often associated with sad, though in this case the work feels more nostalgic than sad)
- It is arguably Mozart’s most popular symphony, used extensively in film and TV.
- For obvious reasons, we’ve chosen this work to open Tafelmusik’s 40th season.
Join us for a free pre-concert chat one hour before the show with Rick Phillips.
- Mozart Concerto for violin in D Major, K.218
- Mozart Concerto for bassoon in B-flat Major
- Mozart Symphony no. 40 in G Minor