A musical conversation between viola da gamba and orchestra, featuring the colours and rhythms of the French baroque.
The sensuous sounds of the French baroque are brought to life in this concert curated, conceived, and directed by Vittorio Ghielmi, a virtuoso on the viola da gamba.
Conceived as a dramatic dialogue shifting from solo gamba (the more intimate, subtle cousin of our modern violin and cello) to full orchestra, the concert features orchestral dance suites by Lully and Rameau in musical conversation with solo gamba music, as well as a brand new piece written by Vittorio Ghielmi himself. Dreaming Jupiter will immerse you in a magical sound world, full of changing colours and textures, anchored by the sonorous sound of the gamba itself.
What's interesting about this concert:
- Tafelmusik's first concert guest directed by a viola da gamba soloist, showcasing the unique and beautiful sound of this famed baroque instrument.
- A program representing that France’s refined response to the extravagance of the Italian baroque, featuring the music of Marais, Forqueray, Rameau, and Lully.
- The title of the concert comes from a combination of pieces featured in the show—La Reveuse (”The Dreamer”) by Marais, and Jupiter, by Forqueray.
- Marais La Reveuse
- Forqueray Jupiter
- Orchestral suites by Lully & Rameau
- Vittorio Ghielmi World premiere