This event has been cancelled.
Please see our patron message regarding COVID-19 here.
Tafelmusik’s popular chamber series returns to Temerty Theatre in the TELUS Centre. This season, we will transport you to three 18th-century European cafés to enjoy the musical delights offered there.
Springtime in Paris! In March we may still be shivering in Toronto, but let us transport you to the warm embrace of a Parisian café to enjoy an afternoon of musical delights. Baroque Paris saw the establishment of the café chantant (home of the French chanson) and of the café-concert, where patrons might hear some chamber music or a new cantata. The beguiling music of Louis and François Couperin, Clérambault, and the remarkable Elisabeth Jacquet de la Guerre—a renowned female composer—lends elegance and charm to our own café-concert.
Hélène Brunet, soprano
Geneviève Gilardeau & Julia Wedman, violins
Felix Deak, viola da gamba
Charlotte Nediger, harpsichord
- Nicholas Bernier Air “Caffé, du jus de la bouteille,” from Cantate Le Caffé
- Elisabeth Jacquet de la Guerre Trio sonata in D Major
- Jean-Philippe Rameau Air “Tristes apprêts,” from Castor & Pollux
- Marin Marais Les voix humaines
- M. Marais La Sonnerie de Ste Geneviève du Mont-de-Paris
- Louis-Nicolas Clérambault Excerpts from Médée
Concert run time: 1 hour, no intermission.
This event is general admission. Seating is assigned on a first-come, first served basis.