Quotes on Mozart's 40th Symphony
By Tim Crouch, Senior Marketing Manager
We open our 2018/19 40th anniversary season with Mozart's Symphony no. 40 in Mozart 40. The music of Mozart is always a favourite for our orchestra and choir to perform — here are some of my favourite quotes on the composer and his symphony.
On Symphony no. 40
- an “appeal to eternity” – Alfred Einstein
- it possesses “Grecian lightness and grace” – Robert Schumann
- “a work of passion, violence, and grief” – Charles Rosen
- “Mozart is the highest, the culminating point that beauty has attained in the sphere of music.” – Tchaikovsky
- “Does it not seem as if Mozart’s works become fresher and fresher the more often we hear them?” – Robert Schumann
- “Mozart tapped the source from which all music flows, expressing himself with a spontaneity and refinement and breathtaking rightness.” – Aaron Copland
Quotes by Mozart
- “I pay no attention whatever to anybody’s praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.”
- “Melody is the essence of music.”
- “All I insist on, and nothing else, is that you should show the whole world that you are not afraid. Be silent, if you choose, but when it is necessary, speak — and speak in such a way that people will remember it.”
Join Tafelmusik for MOZART 40 at Koerner Hall, TELUS Centre from September 20–23, 2018.
Symphony no. 40